Merv Griffin’s Crosswords game is about crosswords, as its name indicates. But the twist of this game is that it places you into a TV show like questions and answers contest!
Each game consists of three clue-based rounds and one timer-based final round. During the clue-based rounds you answer crossword clues one by one, either answering them or letting them time out. During the final round, you may skip clues and come back to them later.
As you begin to play, game tips will appear to help you learn how the game works. If you want to stop tips from showing, you can change that setting from the Options menu.
When a clue is first presented to you, you'll need to either buzz in (using the spacebar) or begin typing. As in a live game show, once you buzz in, you'll have to begin your answer within a short amount of time, or you'll time out. Once you begin typing, however, you have a longer time to accommodate you. Once you type in your answer, you can press Enter on your keyboard (or the red Enter button on your screen) to submit your answer.
When you first enter the game, you’ll see the welcome screen with the following options:
- Change player: the first time there’s no existing player. After you create one or more, they’ll be saved. When you enter into this submenu, you’ll be asked for a name as a new player. It’s possible to have a list of different players and record their performance. This way, you can play home tournaments with family and friends.
- Play: this option leads you right to the first puzzle so you can start playing.
- Prize Room: it takes you to the Prize Room where you can see what you’ve won.
- Options: this is the menu from which you can set some game options, like sound volume, music volume, play in window, and turn voice off.
- Exit and Credits: no further explanation required.
- High scores: lists the records of the players.
- Help: it leads you to the help, where you can read all you need to learn how to play this game.
When you’re playing the game, you can always click on the Pause/Menu button to access to a pop-up menu with these options:
- Options: the same Options menu commented before.
- Help: it leads you to the help.
- End Game: to finish the current game.
You can try this game for 60 minutes before you buy the licensed version